• E-mail Address secretary@bnesl.co.uk
  • Phone 07742 188227 - League Results Line

Latest News

BNESL 2014/15

  • BNESL » News » Great Bardfield lift Division Two Cup

Great Bardfield lift Division Two Cup

Today’s final saw the Division Two Cup up for grabs with current league leaders Great Bardfield taking on bottom club Onley Arms.

Bardfield had the first of the opportunities when they forced a couple of early free-kick’s deep in the Onley half which came to nothing, then on 7 minutes Phil Smith worked his way in to the penalty area and fired against the upright, the ball trickled along the line past the post with McGlashan on hand to fire the ball back towards goal but two Onley defenders got their bodies in the way to clear, at the other end a minute later Onley had a great opportunity to take the lead when Crowe’s free-kick from wide on the right fell to the unmarked Darren Camp on the six yard box who failed to make a good connection and the ball went wide.
Bardfield continued to have most of the possession, a surging run towards goal by Raven was only stopped by a fine sliding challenge from Brudenell preventing a shot on goal and then a shot from Cater was acrobatically headed over the bar by Lipman, a long ball over the top from Sheppard then sent Potter clear he accelerated away from the defence but Ullmer forced the ball wide for a corner.
Onley made Bardfield pay for those missed chances when they took the lead on 23 minutes when a ball forward was headed down nicely by Luke Frisby in to the path of Stuart Cann who advanced towards goal and was about to shoot when Bardfield defender Billy Andrews dived in and fouled forcing referee Newton to point to the spot, Stuart Cann dusted himself down and dispatched the penalty in to the net to make it 1-0.
Great Bardfield continued to press forward after the goal, on 26 minutes another ball over the top by Sheppard sent Raven away down the right he drove the ball across the box Onley keeper Ullmer dived straight over the top of the ball but no one was on hand to put the loose ball into the empty net, the lively Raven was again in the action two minutes later when he worked a good opportunity to cross a good ball for Smith whose poor effort went wide.
With seven minutes of the first half remaining Onley had a great chance to double the lead when another free-kick this time from Frisby was well delivered and Cann on the turn hit a fierce shot towards goal forcing a great finger tip save on to the bar by Mayne in the Bardfield goal.
Bardfield finally made a chance count when Danny Raven on the edge of the area turned and shot which Ullmer saved with his legs the ball rebounded to him and he fired the ball back in to the net, Onley’s resistance was broken and two minutes later it was 2-1 to Bardfield when Blackaby’s free-kick was only cleared to the edge of the area when it fell to Raven who hit a fine effort back past Ullmer in the Onley goal, amazingly it was 3-1 a minute later a fine flick by Raven sent Matt Potter clear and he ran on and fired past Ullmer for the final action of the half.

Half-time: Great Bardfield 3 Onley Arms 1

The second half began as the first with Bardfield on the attack, Phil Smith forcing his way in to the area forcing a good saving tackle by Liam Mabbatt, Bardfield had further pressure without creating anything before Onley came in to the game a bit more and on the hour mark a long clearance by substitute Simmons found Cann who sent in a great cross which caused confusion in the Bardfield defence with an own goal nearly scored before the ball was cleared to safety, and five minutes later they pulled a goal back when Cann played the ball over the top for Darren Camp who ran on and fired past Mayne to make it 3-2.
Two minutes later down the other end a free-kick from Bardfield’s Hughes was well headed towards goal forcing a fine save from Ullmer, Bardfield then made it 4-2 with 12 minutes to go when Billy Andrews through ball sent Adam Daniels clear and he fired past Ullmer into the corner and then with five minutes to go Bardfield rounded off a good day with a fifth goal when Ben McGlashan ran on to Daniels pass and scored.

Final score: Great Bardfield 5 Onley Arms 2

The Teams:

Great Bardfield: Daniel Mayne, Samuel Sheppard, Gareth Coombs, Billy Andrews, Spencer smith, Ben Blackaby, Danny Raven, Phil Smith, Matt Potter, Dean Cater, Ben McGlashan. Substitutes: Adam Daniels, Taylor Hopkins, Jamie Naunton, Lewis Hughes, Liam Quinn.

Onley Arms: Jamie Ullmer, Lee Crowe, Liam Mabbatt, Martin Crow, Billy Roberts, Kurtis Lipman, Sam Phillips, Will Brudenell, Luke Frisby, Darren Camp, Stuart Cann. Substitutes: Alessio Tiso (on for Roberts 72 mins), Nick Trigg (on for ? 81 mins), Mitchell Simmons (on for Crowe 45 mins), Charlie Spooner (not used).

Man of the match: Danny Raven – Great Bardfield FC.

Winners Great Bardfield after Great Bardfield vs Onley Arms, Braintree & North Essex League Cup Final Football at Rosemary Lane on 20th March 2016

Winners Great Bardfield after Great Bardfield vs Onley Arms, Braintree & North Essex League Cup Final Football at Rosemary Lane on 20th March 2016

Share this story

About the Author

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *